26 Nov 2016

Analytical Reflection


A presentation, to me, involves being easily understood and engaging the audience. While preparing for the presentation, I focussed on displaying confidence, offering eye contact, and improving my speech. The group practiced presenting to each other and helped each other to ensure everyone was confident of themselves. Due to my tendency to stutter when I'm nervous, I am thankful that the group was willing enough to practice several more times to ensure I was able to present properly and confidently.

During the presentation, I was very nervous to present to the audience, and I did forget some of the parts that I had to present. This was one of the things I was very disappointed about.
However, there were also positives to Team Train's presentation. The strengths of Team Train's presentation was that the content was easily understood and presented in an easily understandable manner. The pictures and colours used in the slides were engaging. The other speakers presented their parts well too.

There were several things that I felt I could learn from my classmates. Most of them were very fluent and confident speakers. Being fluent and confident is the first step to effectively engage the audience. I need to overcome being nervous infront of a crowd and I feel that this can be done by controlling how my mind thinks. Instead of thinking of the negatives that could happen while presenting, I should just clear my mind and just focus on the task at hand. Also, presenting the information in terms which the audience can easily understand is also something I would like to take note of. I can improve on this by forming complete sentences while I speak. In a way, I can try applying how I form complete sentences in writing to speech.

Overall, the process from the report writing to the presentation was very fulfilling. I feel that I have improved on my report writing and also on my presenting skills. Even though there are still many things to improve on, the experience was a kickstart for me to become a better presenter.

Commented on:
Ruzaini's post (28/11/16)
Masyita's post (28/11/16)
Iskandar's post (28/11/16)
Ming Kang's post (28/11/16)
Adam's post (28/11/16)

6 comments:

  1. Dear Fazira, that was a very detailed and well thought out analysis of your presentation. I think that you performed quite well for your presentation and just had a few minor nitpicks to work on, which you already had pointed out yourself. I, too, am always nervous when it comes to presentations and I try to take deep breaths to calm myself down. I hope you will continue to shine as always for your future presentations. Work hard to becoming a better presenter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam for the very heartfelt comment!
      I also hope that you will be able to shine brighter for your future presentations. Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. Dear Fazira,

    I really like how your group’s topic revolves around the minority in the society i.e. the elderly & person with disabilities. It is unfortunate that many of times, this minority in our society is “conveniently” forgotten. Thus, kudos to you and your team for being so inclusive and caring towards them!

    I totally agree with you on how our mindset affects our performance in the things we do. At some point, everyone gets nervous about one thing or another and it’s a matter of how well we’re able to control suppressing the emotion from showing. Here’s the thing, “It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to has power over you.” – Leon Brown. Just remember to breathe, chill and simply treat the audience as your favourite “candle” and do your thing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Fazira, for this well organized and self critical reflection. As you have pointed out, your talk had both strengths and weaknesses, but what is most important is your attitude. I like how in this post you mention what you took away from peers' presentations. Also, it's clear you've embraced the challenges that lie ahead. I have no doubt that you'll achieve great success in your next presentation opportunity. Best wishes for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *previous comment got typo. Sorry >.<

    Hi Fazira!

    It is indeed and underrated blessing to be able to have teammates that you can work well with and I am glad that you found that! Your optimism do show as you have nicely quoted one of the feedbacks from other team.

    I believe that confidence in presentation is an area where with constant exposure, one can definitely improve on it. Hence, I hope you will have an opportunity to do so (heheh) and wish you all the best for your future! :)

    ReplyDelete